I recently moved to Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. Finding accommodation seemed a bit daunting at first. I was looking to a rent a room, or shared accommodation in other words. If you are in the same situation the following information should make things a bit easier for you.
And of course most of the information bellow is not Queensland specific.
Best sites to find rooms for rent (housemates, flatmates, house share...etc)
This is one of the best sites out there when it comes to finidng rooms for rent. It's a great web app overroll and will make finding a place quite easy. However, it's usage is limited if you are a free user. So you might want to spend 30AUD or so and get a subscription. Which is not exactly cheap but might be worth it if you want to find a decent place fast.
The UX is not as good as flatmates.com.au. But these guys have far more listings and it's 100% FREE!
- Rent is per week (not per month)
- Make sure it includes utilities (if not that will be a additional cost so take that in to account)
- Check if internet is included (sometimes you have to pay extra for this)
- Location (this one is pretty obvious I guess. But sometimes it's worth to pay more and get a place that's closer to your workplace rather than stay afar and taking a longer commute. Because your commute might end up being more expensive than paying extra for a place that's closer to work).
- Look for ensuite bathroom/toilet
- Check for parking space
- Go visit the place, talk to the person with whome you are going to share the house. It's important that you choose to stay with someone who you can get along with. I think this is the most important factor.
Relax and keep looking. You'll find your ideal place eventually. Good luck!